Friday, January 07, 2005

Auld Lang Syne?

Just what the hell does it mean anyways? This question comes up every new year's eve, and no one ever bothers to get off their arse and figure it out. Well, me, being as resourceful as I like to think I am, decided to finally shed some light on the mystery. Thanks to the good folks at Wikipedia.org and HowStuffWorks.com (two wonderful sites, btw) this little peculiarity is solved.

"Times gone by"

Not very exciting, and I suppose this is what I figured it meant anyways, but nevertheless a very sweet way to pay tribute to the aged, dying year.

Socially, 2004 blew, pure and simple. Iraq, election, blah blah blah. Based on my previous posts it's pretty obvious how I feel about the politics of the last year so I'll just leave it at - blew, pure and simple.

Personally, however, 2004 was pretty darn good to me. I moved back to Wisconsin after about 3 1/2 years in the Pac NW. I'll admit I was pretty apprehensive about this relocation at first. I really loved the culture and scenic beauty of the west coast, and was afraid I'd miss it terribly. Well, I guess in some ways that I do, but things are going great here in the midwest. Pretty much right after moving back I was able to get a job doing tech support for cable internet. Sure, I'm a phone monkey, but it pays decent, I like my coworkers, and I'm finally one of the privileged few to have health insurance. Yay, I believe the first time ever since I've moved out from under the folks' wing when I graduated high school.

Good thing too because about 3 days after my health insurance was activated I ended up in the emergency room with a terrible stomach pain. Turned out I had a kidney stone, and let me tell you, I would never wish this pain upon my worst enemy (not that I have any enemies of course :) ). I literally thought I was dying, and even with the steady stream of morphine that was being pumped into me, it was still unbearable. I ended up having to have surgery, but in the end it wasn't so bad. For that masochistic part of me, it was truly an enlightening experience to go through such an incredible pain, being in such inordinate agony that all you can do is scream and wail. So while I necessarily don't think this was a "good" thing, it's still a memory I treasure.

I think it was brought on by what has become my yearly ritual of juice fasting. I had given up food for Lent, and I believe I was on day 45 out of 47 of not eating. It probably wasn't the fasting itself that caused it though. I had been anticipating eating Easter dinner so in the last week I began breaking my fast by drinking soymilk. I was probably drinking too much of that and not enough water. I had a calcium stone, so whether this is what happened or not, I don't know for certain, but it sounds reasonable to me. What I do know, however, is that I'm not going to let it deter me from continuing to fast.

2003 was the first year I tried fasting. I think I lasted about 30 days. Last year it was 47 days, and I'm beginning 2005 with yet another. I started on January 2, so it's been about 5 days so far and I feel fantastic. Juice fasting is an incredible experience that I'd recommend to almost anyone. I guess I will post more later about it as my current fast progresses, but I'm not exactly sure how long I'm going to go this time. Maybe I'll go as long as a month, but Ben bought me an elliptical machine for X-mas and once that gets delivered (hopefully today!!), I'm sure I'll be using it a lot and I don't know if I'll be able to keep up if I'm just drinking carrot/spinach juice. I've also been lifting quite a bit lately, and I'll admit fasting causes you atrophy pretty quickly. I don't know, we'll see I guess.

With my steady income, rent free home, and beautiful family and friends all around me, 2005 is shaping up to be a positive year as well. BUT, yesterday my mom asked me and Ben if we'd like to go to Thailand with her next month for about 3 1/2 weeks. She'll even pay for the tickets. Sounds glorious, but this would probably entail me quitting my job... dun dun dun ... I don't know what I'm going to do.




    2 Comments:

    Blogger shozo said...

    quit your effing job. you know you can get another. THE INTERNET ISNT GOING ANYWHERE!!!

    Thu Jan 20, 02:05:00 PM 2005  
    Blogger vic said...

    SHOZO, you are tv^2b butterscotch nilla puddin./me eats snakpak

    Fri Jan 21, 07:35:00 PM 2005  

    Post a Comment

    << Home