Saturday, July 16, 2005

exCYSTenz

I've always prided myself on having a fairly good trivial knowledge base of most things creepy, freaky, or just plain grotesque. Imagine my disappointment when I realized it took me 28 1/2 years to come across these.....

THE OVARIAN DERMOID CYST




Medterms.com defines the Dermoid Cyst of the Ovary as such:

A bizarre tumor, usually benign, in the ovary that typically contains a diversity of tissues including hair, teeth, bone, thyroid, etc.

A dermoid cyst develops from a totipotential germ cell (a primary oocyte) that is retained within the egg sac (ovary). Being totipotential, that cell can give rise to all orders of cells necessary to form mature tissues and often recognizable structures such as hair, bone and sebaceous (oily) material, neural tissue and teeth.

(Aside...it's 10:oopm and the mormons I mentioned in the previous post just called me ... I don't really mind, but who solicits people this late at night???)

Thanks go out to my brother Eric for bringing this medical curiosity to my attention, I'm so proud of you! *tears*

/me schedules an appointment with the gynecologist

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Delicious

Fri Aug 05, 04:42:00 AM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home